Beth's injuries are identical to 3 other "accidents" from 2004, 2006, and 2017.
- Severe trauma to back of head (from killer; a gash according to Gwen's letter) and minor injuries (from being dumped).
- Are we dealing with a serial killer?
This document also gives us the location of speculated death and where the body was found.
- We can locate these places on the map.
Dry Erase Marker
This was left over from the previous hotel owner's surplus.
Gwen's letter introduces us to the case, as well as lays out our objective for this episode.
- We must find the exact location of where her sister, Beth, was actually killed.
The Lantern Magazine
Page 5 gives us a little information on rip currents.
- Beth's killer most likely relied on this to carry her body away from the murder site.
- It also refers us to the "Safety" section of the Town of Mallory Rock website.
This is a coaster that belonged to Beth.
Mallory Rock Map
Beth's body was found at the "North Beach" (3 on map).
She is presumed by authorities to have fallen from "Ballantine's Bluff" (4 on map).
I would say she was actually killed at "Mallory Rock Lighthouse" since it is the only other location by the water's edge, and her body made its way to North Beach.
Mallory Rock Notebook
This notebook gives us a little bit of history on Mallory Rock. It also alludes to the possibility of having to translate phrases from Latin.
In the last entry, it talks about "The Navigators Club" and their precepts.
- Non ducor duco. → I am not led, I lead.
- Audentes fortuna iuvat. → Fortune favors the bold.
- Acta non verba. → Deeds not words.
- Aut viam inveniam aut faciam. → I shall either find a way or make one.
- Ad astra per aspera. → Through hardships to the stars.
- Faber est suae quisque fortunae. → Each man is the maker of his own fortune.
- Flectere si requeo superos, Acheronta movebo. → If I cannot defeat the superior powers, then I shall move the River Acheron.
- Caesaris finis est initium alterius. → The end of the beginning.
- Lupus non timet canem latrantem. → A wolf is not afraid of a barking dog.
- Ex nihilo nihil fit. → Nothing comes from nothing.
- Aquila non captat muscas. → The eagle does not catch flies.
- A posse ad esse. → From possibility to actuality.
Memorial Service Program
In her letter, Gwen mentioned Rev Reaver's odd bible verse notations.
NSRV stands for "New Revised Standard Version".
This looks to be some kind of book cipher.
Gwen put a "Bible Verses" folder on the virtual desktop. We can look up the verses on here instead of on Google.
Once you find the chapter and verse, the hashtagged number refers to that word in that verse.
I came today to the spring, and said, 'O Lord, the God of my master Abraham, if now you will only make successful the way I am going!
I must go down and see whether they have done altogether according to the outcry that has come to me; and if not, I will know.
If you try my heart, if you visit me by night, if you test me, you will find no wickedness in me; my mouth does not transgress.
But I say to you that listen, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,
Whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone; so that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses.
Then she started to return with her daughters-in-law from the country of Moab, for she had heard in the country of Moab that the Lord had considered his people and given them food.
Once deciphered, the message reads:
- "I MUST TRY TO FORGIVE HER"
Was he referring to Beth? Forgive what?
This letter is from Michelle to Gwen.
Michelle provides us with instructions on how to access the virtual desktop for this case.
This is an exchange between Gwen and Beth's husband's parents.
Joey's dad seems willing to work with Gwen, while his mom seems sheltered about the idea.
Tourist Tip Brochure
Used along with information from the Town of Mallory Rock website and The Lantern Magazine, the brochure will provide us the location of Beth's murder.