The letter says to look at the handkerchief.
When Vanity becomes Elegance.
- Note that there is an "E" and a "V" embroidered in the handkerchief.
- The note mentions phrases seeming "backwards".
- E is the 5th letter forward from the beginning of the alphabet while V is the 5th letter back from the end.
- This simply means to reverse the alphabet to decipher the code. A = Z, Z = A, etc.
Once deciphered, the coded words read:
- NEVER BEEN CAST IN DUO
- EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM I'VE SEEN WITH YOU
- FILM PREMIERES
- I NEED TO GET OUT OF THIS CITY. BUT MY CONTRACT AND MY ENGAGEMENT MAKE THAT IMPOSSIBLE.
- MAKE A CHOICE ON MY OWN
- RECEPTION PLANS
- MEET IN MY DRESSING ROOM WHILE THEY'RE BUSY
- SEE YOU SOON
Hmm, was Viola having an affair with someone while she was still engaged to Hector?
This is another "stage" cipher.
Once decoded, the messages read:
- LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED HELP HIDING THIS FROM HIM
Enamel Theater Pin
This is a gift to us from Julia Adler in thanks of finding the murder weapon in Episode 1.
This is a simple silk handkerchief with flowers and the letters "E" and "V" embroidered in it. This is meant to help decipher the coded letter.
What I gather from this letter is Hector saw his upcoming marriage to Viola as just a publicity booster, and Viola's mother was the puppet master.
- Is this why Viola called the engagement off? Because she was not truly in love with Hector and did not want a sham of a marriage?
- Is this why Viola was killed? But why so long after the engagement was dissolved?
Julia explains that despite providing the murder weapon, the police still won't move ahead in the investigation.
It is now time to narrow down the suspects.
We also get our new password for the Cadence folder on the shared desktop.
There are obvious ciphered letters throughout this document.
It is a Caesar cipher using the numbers preceding each coded message.
- The first number indicates which letters in the message are shifted (every single one, every other, every third, etc.).
- The second number indicates how many letters to shift back in the alphabet.
Once decoded, the message reads:
- LOAN 30% INTEREST
- EVERYTHING'S GOING TO BE OKAY, NOW THAT YOU'RE COMING BACK.
- GET IN TOUCH ABOUT LOANS
- CALL BANK ABOUT MORTGAGE
- LOAN 30% INTEREST
- BUYERS? IRA?
Despite Olga's suspicions of foul play in Viola's disappearance, she was uncooperative with the officer taking her statement.
She was very elusive as to her whereabouts during the time of the murder.
- What was she trying to hide?
We gain our basis for our list of suspects from which to eliminate.
- Olga Gaina
- George Erikson
- Evelyn Kittridge
- Hector Roland
- Joseph Sampson
- Ira Adler
- Ruth Erikson
It appears the case was closed only 8 days after the murder.
Stage Whisper Article
This article highlights the downfall of stage theater compared to new-and-upcoming "picture shows".
It also shows how Evelyn Kittridge received much acclaim when she took over Viola's role during Viola's "rest cure" period.