- Following Masters' path on the map:
- Masters started out at the bone-white rock, O2, and walked two hours (squares) toward the festering vermin bringing him to the whispering oaks, O4.
- He then walked 3 hours (squares) diagonally through the oak trees, landing on R7.
- Anthony accounts for the items he is providing us.
- He gives us some backstory of the man who created the map, and advises us that directions are most likely by elements of the forest rather than traditional cardinal directions.
- Using the message on the back of the compass, one square equals one hour travel.
- There are numerous writings which can be more easily read using the magnifying glass.
- A10, A11, B10, and B11 → Deep underground, ancient roots wind through shattered skulls
- B7, C7, D7, and E7 → Though the sun moves through the sky, the shadows of the pines stay fixed in place
- F9 and G9 → Lost souls weep from nostalgia and regret
- F11, G11, and G10 → Tears of the drowned ceaselessly flow down the creek
- I3 → The ground, with its dreadful murmurs, will cradle careless travelers for eternity
- K5, K6, and L6 → The sky shines bright red, the sun and moon are nowhere to be seen
- L2 → The heavy limbs of trees are scarred with claw marks and carvings
- O3 → Here the vermin fester in the bleak sunlight, but dance under the light of the moon
- O7 → Here I saw the eyeless creatures horde their bones
- P2 → The crows feed at blood-red dusk
- O4, P5, and Q6 → I hear her whisper to climb the oak trees and leap into the air, but I will not give in
- Q9 and Q10 → Forks of lightning erupt from the clear sky
- It sounds like the hermit Ned is talking about is actually "Carver"?
- Following Ned's path on the map:
- Ned started out at the mill, O12, and walked 5 hours (squares) to the horde of bones, O7.
- The hermit's house is located three hours (squares) opposite the shadows, which are to the far left. The hermit's house is in R7.
- Damn, Carver is dark as shit, really sticking it to Rosemary.
- Once deciphered, his message at the bottom reads:
"FIND US WHERE A SHRED OF PROPRIETY WAS LOST.
- On the back is etched "Each square an hour", meaning each square on the map equals one hour.
- On page 21 of Anthony's script, Goodneighbor's wife is mentioned. Her name is Propriety. That is the name Carver mentioned in his message to Rosemary.
- The "shred of Propriety" (lock of hair) was lost at the hollow with a white tree in the center.
- This is where Carver told Rosemary she could find him and her sons.
- Following Goodneighbor's path on the map:
- He started out at the white rock, O2, and walked five hours (squares) opposite of the bloodthirsty crows, P2, leading him to J2.
- He then walked two hours (squares) toward "dreadful utterances", leading him to the witch's hollow, H4.
- Rosemary is ready to take on Carver against all means.
- She needs us to map out Carver's exact coordinates in the forest for her journey.
- This can be used to read the small print on the map.